Most managers take anything from 4 hours to 4 days to create a short presentation. They invest a lot of time and effort in making the presentation. This happens even if the presentation itself is delivered for 20 minutes. So any time that you save in creating presentations adds to time on hand you can use for other tasks and increase your effectiveness.
Especially, if you make sales or marketing presentations frequently, but needs to present different content each time, this is of great benefit.
Reuse Presentation Structure:
Most presenters have the habit of cut-pasting content from previous presentations. You can go beyond this simple cut-paste to save time. Any presentation you make often has a typical structure. Have a free powerpoint templates that just has this structure in place. Whenever you need to make a new presentation, use this presentation template to fill in information and your presentation is ready much faster than before.
The process in detail:
The steps in creating a structure is as follows:
1. Select a topic where you make presentations fairly frequently. This could be performance reports, client proposals etc.
2. Take around 3 or 4 presentations you already made under this topic. If possible, do get inputs from colleagues who had made successful presentations for this same topic.
3. Take a blank presentation template. This could be in the prescribed company format to reduce time even further
4. Go slide by slide, and note down the broad level topics covered in the old presentation. For example, your sales slides could read as:
- a. Slide 1 – Title
- b. Slide – 2 Agenda
- c. Slide 3 – Overview of client requirements
- d. Slide 4 – Introduction to Company etc.
Add in the topics from at least 3 or 4 old presentations to ensure all possible topics are covered.
5. Save the final file as a template and you are ready with a Presentation Template.
Such a presentation template with structure ensures that you do not miss out any important points in future presentations. Creating such a free ppt templates should not take more than an hour and will save you many hours in the future.
Having such a structured template format has many additional advantages:
1. It reduces your time to think as main points are already listed
2. You can get someone else to fill in some information and they can understand what you need from the format.
3. You can share this format with your team and they can present content in the same flow as yours.
If you do not have the time or skill to make the template, you can search online for sites that provide such readymade templates for you to fill in. Now you can save time easily!
This article is authored by Arte Ranganathan. The author has over a decade of experience and currently focuses on training and presenting through Metamorph Training.